As of July 1 2019, the content of the Slovenian Government website has moved to

Skip to main content »

What will be the validity of driving licenses issued by the United Kingdom?

In the event that it leaves the European Union without an agreement, the UK will become a third state with the day this takes place. However, the use of driving licenses of third states is permitted in all European Union member states. This topic is regulated by the national legislation of individual member states, which is some cases may require the use of an international driving license that is issued separately from one's national (UK) driving license. In the Republic of Slovenia the use of UK motor vehicles driving licenses will be permitted after it leaves the EU, without requiring a separate international driving license.

Should you wish to exchange your UK driving license for a Slovene one, you may do so in accordance with the information provided here . You will also be able to exchange driving licenses in accordance with this information after the UK leaves the EU. In the event that you are unable to exchange your driving license, you may continue using your UK driving license until the expiration of its validity.

Citizens of the Republic of Slovenia with a temporary or permanent residency abroad, who will be in Slovenia temporarily or permanently, will be able to use a UK driving license to drive those motor vehicles as permitted by their UK driving license, for a maximum of two years from the day on which they register their residency in the Republic of Slovenia.

A person who in the past held a driving license issued in the Republic of Slovenia is able to exchange their UK-issued driving license for a Slovene one, provided that they have a habitual residency in the Republic of Slovenia.

Habitual residency denotes a location where a person lives at least 185 day of each calendar year due to personal and professional ties, or in the case of an individual without professional ties, due to personal ties which demonstrate a close link between that person and the location where they live. In the case of an individual, whose professional ties are in a different location to their personal ties and who for that reason lives in different locations in two or more countries, a habitual residency is considered as the location of their personal ties if this individual regularly returns there. When an individual lives in the country to fulfil a role with a limited duration, there is no need for this last condition to be present. Taking part in educational activities, including at the university level, does not constitute a transference of habitual residency.